How We Distribute Food
We partner with a range of community-based organizations to identify and serve populations that are vulnerable to hunger. Most of our food is distributed through client choice pantries, giving our clients the ability to choose the products that best meet their needs. This includes an on-site pantry and mobile pantries at sites more convenient for specific populations, such as students and seniors. We also distribute food as a Redistribution Organization (RDO) for the Alameda County Community Food Bank, a formal designation that allows us to redirect food sourced from the Feeding America network to partner agencies in our immediate community.
Client Choice Pantries
We believe everyone should have access to healthy, high-quality, and culturally appropriate foods. By emphasizing client choice, we honor dignity and choice for people who use our services.
- Collaborating with community organizations helps us understand and serve our clients better. Feedback from partners and clients regularly emphasizes the need for healthy, high-quality produce and proteins–so we prioritize procuring those foods for our pantry programs.
- Client-choice pantries are the primary vehicle through which we provide food. They are organized like farmers markets so clients can browse and select only the items they desire, thereby increasing individual choice and reducing food waste.
- During the pandemic, we have either moved our pantries outdoors or increased distribution of pre-packed bags according to the preferences of our partner agencies.
Redistribution Organization Program
We believe frontline food-assistance organizations are best positioned to serve their specific communities. By redistributing food from the Alameda County Community Food Bank to a network of local food distribution agency partners, we foreground the trust and knowledge our partners have built with their clients.
- Our warehouse allows us to serve as a hub between larger suppliers and frontline organizations who may not have the space to receive large amounts of food.
- We are the first RDO for ACCFB, as well as the first urban RDO in the country.