Did you know that one in five Berkeley residents is not able to put enough food on their table to live a healthy and
hunger-free life? And with the COVID-19 crisis, the number of people facing hunger has grown. The Berkeley Food
Network (BFN) is a young and rapidly growing non-profit organization using innovative strategies to address
this issue and end hunger in Berkeley. We work through a community-centered, collaborative process to source, rescue,
and prepare healthy food and get it to the people who need it, processing and distributing as much as 100,000 pounds of
food per month and serving as many as 5,000 individuals weekly.
The Berkeley Food Network has one open position:
The Berkeley Food Network (BFN) is seeking a highly motivated and talented candidate for an Executive Assistant
position. The position requires a flexible and professional individual who is capable of taking initiative and working
independently to complete assigned tasks and projects. We’re looking for a fast learner who is excited about being part
of a small but dynamic team of nonprofit professionals, and who wants to gain experience in the field of anti-hunger
work while positively impacting the community our work supports.
The EA will support the BFN leadership team in its day-to-day office functions as well as provide some programmatic
support for our network/partnership outreach, fundraising, and communications. The position reports directly to the
Executive Director, while also providing support to the Director of Operations and our Board of Directors.
Administrative Duties (Office and Operations):
- Manage Executive Director’s calendar and appointments.
- Facilitate leadership team’s communications, including taking calls, responding to emails, and interfacing with
contractors, vendors, board members, donors, and partners.
- Assist leadership team with various administrative projects or research as needed; manage data and prepare
- Perform basic bookkeeping, bill paying, and budgeting.
- Handle confidential information; organize and maintain files and records.
- Provide HR support.
- Provide leadership team with needed administrative and clerical support.
- Update organization website in WordPress,
- Help maintain organization’s social media presence in partnership with Communications Manager
- Assist in production of quarterly newsletter in MailChimp.
- Work in collaboration with Executive Director to prepare for speaking engagements and presentations
- Create fliers for use in warehouse.
Fund Development Assistance:
- Assist with grant proposals: research, writing, and document preparation.
- Support individual giving program, maintaining donor database, creating donor thank yous, and processing
- Help to coordinate standard annual events and special eve
Board of Directors Support:
- Maintain up-to-date roster of current board members.
- Maintain board records.
- Plan and facilitate logistics of Board Meetings and other meetings; create board packets, take notes/minutes.
- Provide other logistical and administrative board support, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree with two years relevant work experience.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; strong writing skills.
- Proficient with database software, website tools (Salesforce, WordPress, and MailChimp experience preferred),
Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Quickbooks, and G Suite.
- Attention to detail is a must
- Ability to exercise good judgement and discretion.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently within a small team; sense of humor essential.
- Interest in nonprofit organizations, or previous experience in nonprofit a plus.
- Background check
The Berkeley Food Network has a generous PTO policy and some flexibility in scheduling. BFN provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision benefits and will provide a 403(b) retirement plan in 2021. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
Please email your resume to email@example.com
Use the subject line Executive Assistant Position.
The Berkeley Food Network provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment
prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national
origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement,
promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.