The Berkeley Food Network seeks to end hunger and poor nutrition by using innovative, community-centered solutions to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable food system. We get healthy food to the people who need it. At the heart of this work is a food sourcing and distribution hub operating out of our warehouse. As a young and rapidly growing organization, we are looking for talented, mission-driven individuals to join us in our work to end nutritional insecurity in Northern Alameda County!
Warehouse Associate & Driver
The core of our work is based in our warehouse, where a talented crew of staff, volunteers, and partners work together to manage the 25,000+ pounds of food that enter our warehouse each week. As a warehouse associate, you will be interacting directly with our team of volunteers and agency partners who are dedicated to getting the highest quality food to our community members. A typical day could involve pallet prepping a delivery for our partners, delivering food to a mobile pantry, or leading our volunteers through a bag assembly and food recovery shift. While the bulk of your day-to-day work will be heavily physical (involving lifting, bending, and operating heavy machinery), you will also have opportunities to engage in higher-level conversations with managers and directors on how we can reimagine our current work to best serve our clients. This is a great opportunity for anyone who likes to get their hands dirty, engaging in physical work while thinking critically about how we can improve our food system.
This is a benefit eligible, full-time position, with 40 hours weekly, beginning at $22 /hour.
Option 1: Tues/Thurs/Fri 7:00 am-3:30 pm and Mon/Wed 8:00am-4:30pm.
Option 2: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm.
This position reports directly to our Warehouse Operations Manager.
How You Will Contribute
- Interacting with over 20 partners a week to receive, process, and sort food donations at the warehouse
- Preparing orders by processing requests, pulling materials, packing boxes, and placing orders in the distribution area and/or van.
- Driving to and from partner organizations for pickups and deliveries around the greater Bay Area
- Maintaining a safe and clean work environment by keeping shelves, pallet area, and workstations neat; maintaining clean shipping supply area; complying with procedures, rules, and regulations
- Facilitating functionality of on-site pantry by assisting with set-up, breakdown, and shift operations (occasionally)
- Critically thinking and engaging with coworkers on how to improve warehouse operations
What We Are Looking For
Education and Subject Knowledge
- Warehouse Experience preferred
- Food Justice or Community Service desired
- Food Service or Food Distribution desired
- Must have a valid CA drivers license
- Obey all CA State traffic laws
- Basic knowledge of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) desired
- Experience operating a forklift or pallet jack desired
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Problem solving mindset, collaborative with other team members
- Seeks solutions to problems and issues that arise
- High level of personal responsibility and accountability to assigned tasks
- Cordial and helpful communication style with staff, volunteers, clients and partners
- Ability to exert force and/or lift or carry items weighing 50 to 100 pounds occasionally, and up to 50 pounds frequently is required.
- Ability to walk, sit, squat, bend, twist, reach above and below shoulder height, push, pull, lift and carry frequently is required.
- Ability to work inside freezers and coolers frequently is required.
This position requires consistently exerting physical effort throughout the work day. With a combination of lifting, carrying, and bending, this position should be filled by an individual who is comfortable and able to be active for long periods of time. During COVID-19, all work will be conducted with a KN-95 or N-95 mask on at all times, and all staff must be fully vaccinated upon employment.
At Berkeley Food Network, we want all our staff to feel supported and valued in their work. As a warehouse associate, you’d be embedded in the team with a daily morning check-in, bi-weekly operations team meetings, and monthly all-staff meetings. You’ll have the opportunity to shape our organization as a member of one of our internal committees. There will also be many opportunities to grow in your role; including, but not limited to, periodic training, presentations, and skills workshops.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
At the Berkeley Food Network, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at BFN are considered without regard to age, race, ethnicity, national origin, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability status, political affiliation, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.