It’s not every day you can join an organization whose mission inspires you. The Berkeley Food Network (BFN) is a young and rapidly growing non-profit organization using innovative strategies to address food insecurity in the Berkeley-Albany area. We work through a community-centered, collaborative process to source and prepare healthy food and get it to people who need it. We source over 100,000 pounds of food a month. In addition to our on-site client-choice pantry, we distribute that food to nearly 60 unique sites across Berkeley and Albany, working with nearly as many organizations. We also provide food to 25 other food assistance organizations in Berkeley and Albany. We feed over 6,000 people every week
The Berkeley Food Network has one open position:
The Impact You Will Have
The Warehouse Associate is a customer-focused, collaborative, and detail-oriented colleague who has extensive experience working in a high growth, dynamic warehouse environment. You believe that several small tweaks can lead to dramatic improvements, so you’re always tracking and optimizing the processes around you. The Warehouse Associate helps to provide and deliver the right products to our partners by safely and accurately picking, assembling, and transporting shipments. To be successful, the Associate must understand and prepare for the physical demands of moving merchandise for the majority of their shift.
- Accurately select, assemble, and check the quality of all outgoing orders while assisting with loading and transport of all products.
Standards and procedures
- Manage the schedule and routes for all outgoing orders.
- Monitor and document current processes and present optimization opportunities.
- Provide partner agency representatives and BFN leadership with proactive communication regarding order status, logistics issues, and action plans to meet expectations for order delivery.
- Act as point of contact for all outbound transportation inquiries.
- Produce all necessary outbound shipping documentation, including partner order forms.
- Perform quality control checks on all outgoing products.
- Perform order selection for multiple agency partners.
- Assist shoppers to make their selections safely and accurately.
- Assist with loading and unloading for will-call pickups, shoppers, and deliveries.
- Work closely with the bag assembly production team to ensure proper order execution.
- Manage a team of volunteers to complete daily tasks as needed.
- Operate pallet jack or forklift to transport pallets.
- Work collaboratively with the operations team regarding product flow.
Delivery and Retrieval Driving Responsibilities
- Must have a valid CA drivers license and obey all CA State traffic laws.
- Complete deliveries and pickups according to daily routes and as needed using company vehicle.
- Answer basic questions at delivery locations and problem solve on the go.
What We Look For
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Problem solving mindset, can work collaboratively with other team members.
- Seeks solutions to problems and issues that arise, relays issues to other members of the team using a problem-solving approach.
- High level of personal responsibility and accountability to assigned tasks.
- Cordial and helpful communication style with staff, volunteers, clients and partners.
- Ability to exert force and/or lift or carry items weighing 50 to 100 pounds occasionally, and up to 50 pounds frequently is required.
- Ability to walk, sit, squat, bend, twist, reach above and below shoulder height, push, pull, lift and carry frequently is required.
- Ability to work inside freezers and coolers frequently is required.
- Forklift and pallet jack certification desired but not mandatory (training will be provided).
- Because BFN employees work in a warehouse setting with other employees and BFN partners, we require that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and are wearing masks.
This is a benefits eligible, full-time, 40 hours a week position, beginning at $20 /hour. Work schedule is as follows: Mon-Fri 8:00 am-4:30 pm. This position reports directly to our Warehouse Operations Manager.
- Vacation & sick pay
- Healthcare, vision, & dental
- Employee Assistance Program
- AD&D, LTD, and Life Insurance
To apply for this position, send both and cover letter and your resume to email@example.com by Friday, October 15th.
Berkeley Food Network Hiring Policy
At the Berkeley Food Network, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at BFN are considered without regard to age, race, ethnicity, national origin, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, political affiliation, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.