Did you know that one in five Berkeley residents is not able to put enough food on their table to live a healthy and hunger-free life? And with the COVID-19 crisis, the number of people facing hunger has grown. The Berkeley Food Network (BFN) is a young and rapidly growing non-profit organization using innovative strategies to address this issue and end hunger in Berkeley. We work through a community-centered, collaborative process to source, rescue,and prepare healthy food and get it to the people who need it, processing and distributing as much as 100,000 pounds of food per month and serving as many as 5,000 individuals weekly.
The Berkeley Food Network has one open position:
We are seeking a motivated, physically capable, and dependable individual to join our fast growing team. Our ideal candidate will have a vested interest in supporting our immediate Berkeley and Albany communities and the willingness to do whatever is necessary to accomplish this goal. This is a benefit-eligible, part-time position beginning at $20/hour. Work schedule consists of 30 hours per week as follows: Mon.- Thurs. 9:00 am – 3:30 pm (some flexibility possible), and Sat. 9:00 am – 1:00 pm (firm/non-negotiable). This position reports directly to the Warehouse Operations Manager.
The Impact You Will Have
Key Attributes and Requirements
- Reliable transportation to and from work
- Ability to assemble, load, and deliver distributions to partners
- Working with both clients and volunteers from varied backgrounds; a proactive and positive attitude is essential.
- Collaborating with a small team, taking initiative, and exhibiting a high level of both personal and professional accountability
- Basic knowledge of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) desired
- Experience operating a forklift preferable but not required
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office and G-Suite
- Attention to detail
- Maintaining a clean and organized work environment
- Actively and consistently seeking to improve warehouse efficiency
- Assisting with setting up, breaking down, and the overall success of BFN’s on-site pantry
- Maintaining a safe and clean work environment by keeping shelves, pallet area, and workstations neat; maintaining a clean shipping supply area; complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Providing a high degree of efficiency in the warehouse environment.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to solve problems both independently and collaboratively with other team members
- Developing solutions to issues that arise, maintaining open channels of communication with other team members to effectively address and resolve roadblocks.
- Demonstrating a high level of personal responsibility and accountability to assigned tasks
- Communicating cordially and helpfully with staff, volunteers, clients, and partners
Outbound Logistics Responsibilities
- Processing and completing all incoming orders from partners in an organized and timely manner.
- Developing pack lists and preparing bills of lading and shipping labels for outbound shipments
- Auditing outbound orders prior to leaving the warehouse
- Assisting with loading and unloading both company vehicles and outside carriers’ vehicles
- Assisting with product returns and donations
- Data entry
- Overseeing grocery bag assembly and picking operations
- Working closely with the Volunteer Coordinator to secure workforce for daily operations
- Exporting inventory data reports on a weekly basis.
- Updating Operations Calendar as needed
- Ensuring the functionality of BFN’s on-site pantry
- Other duties as assigned
- Greeting and directing volunteers, appointments, and task runners to their appropriate destinations
- Receiving and delivering incoming mail and parcels
- Answering emails & phone calls
- Managing multiple email inboxes
Delivery Driving Responsibilities
- Must have a valid California drivers license
- Completing deliveries as needed using company vehicle
- Completing food recovery and pick-ups as needed using company vehicle
- Answering basic questions at drop-offs and problem solving on-the-go
- Observing and obeying all California state traffic laws
- The ability to exert force and/or lift or carry items weighing 50 to 100 pounds occasionally, and up to 50 pounds frequently, is required.
- The ability to walk, sit, squat, bend, twist, reach above and below shoulder height, push, pull, lift, and carry frequently is required.
- The ability to frequently work inside walk-in freezers and coolers is required.
- Must be able to operate forklift and manual and electric pallet jack. Training will be provided.
At the Berkeley Food Network, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at BFN are considered without regard to age, race, ethnicity, national origin, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability status, political affiliation, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
Application Materials and Deadline
To apply for this position, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 noon PST on Friday, July 9, 2021.